I went to a Raw Food Workshop and as the raw zucchini noodles topped with walnut bolognaise was served a wag from the audience observed that it looked like it would taste great fried.
Which got a good laugh but I have to confess my favourite spiralizer treat is spiralized potatoes roasted in raw virgin coconut oil infused with Dijon mustard.
Spiralizers are a seriously handy kitchen tool. If you would like to cut down on or get away from the grains but miss pasta, if you would like to eat more raw food, create salads with interesting textures in a minute flat or spiralize an apple for the kids, the spiralizer is for you.
What can you do with it? The spiralizer is amazingly versatile, you can:
- Make a never ending array of spiral noodles. You can use any solid vegetable but particularly good is the zucchini which becomes (both raw and lightly steamed) the base for a limitless assortment of pasta and spaghetti dishes (also good are carrots, turnips, swedes and kumara)
- Unlike pasta noodles you can marinate your vegetable noodles with lemon, sauces, spices and oils to create amazing flavour sensation
- Spiralize small amounts of vegetables to add a gourmet touch to everyday meals
- Take roasted potato to another stratosphere
- Simply spiralize an apple and turn it into an eat-alone treat or use one of the other blades to make apple threads for apple crumble, and
- Once you get the hang of it you can easily cut up an onion into spirals or wedges without the tears
The best things about a spiralizer:
- Fine cut vegetables often taste better and provide a consistency and texture that is easier to work but without a machine like the spiralizer it is often hard work. You can spiralize a zucchini into one long continuous thread in less than 15 seconds
- You can wean yourself or the family off pasta without having to go through the psychological trauma of missing pasta or spaghetti. It took my children about three meals to realise they weren’t eating pasta
- It makes raw food taste better and you can create a range of interesting salads from firm fruits and vegetable like apples, carrots, radish, cucumber and zucchini
- Has three different blades that make three different shapes that you can also customise by making strategic nicks in the fruit, and
- Is extremely easy to use and wash up and packs away easily with the extra blades stored in the body of the machine
The spiralizer comes with a twelve month warranty. This is not one of those kitchen gadgets that get used for a week and then collect dust at the back of the cupboard. You will be amazed at what it can be used to create.